As the largest distributor of Passion Play tickets since 1980, EO will again offer travelers a wide variety of travel opportunities to visit Oberammergau. Passion Play ticket is included in the cost on many itineraries. Register now for the 42nd Passion Play in Oberammergau, Germany in 2020.
Oberammergau 2020 Tours
Become a Tour Host!
If you are a part of a group of 7 to 70 that loves to travel, let us help with the details while you enjoy special benefits.
Passion Play & River Cruise
Experience Germany, Austria, and the Danube River and witness the Passion Play.
Why travel with EO to Oberammergau?
- EO is the largest distributor of Passion Play tickets since 1980.
- Passion Play ticket is included in the cost on many itineraries.
- EO has 43+ years of experience providing group travel opportunities throughout Europe.
- EO hospitality teams on the ground in Germany to assist EO guests.
- EO provides the best value for your travel dollars.
- Group Leaders can earn free travel by organizing a group for this travel opportunity.
Since 1634, the most famous Passion Play in the world has taken place in Oberammergau.
The tradition, maintained and experienced almost without interruption for over 380 years, of putting on the play about the suffering, death and resurrection of Christ every ten years, will be continued for the 42nd time in 2020 and is regarded as the most important Passion Play in the world. The village at the edge of the Bavarian Alps expects approximately 500,000 visitors for the passion play, over half of which will be international guests.
A special law is in effect to insure that all actors of the world's largest amateur dramatic performance come from the village. All participants, from actors playing the big speaking parts such as Jesus, Mary or Judas, through members of the choir, orchestra members, firemen and ushers, must have been born in Oberammergau or lived there for at least 20 years. Over 2,000 Oberammergau villagers will participate in the 2020 Passion Play.
Production Timetable for the 2020 Production
2015: The Oberammergau City Council appointed the production team.
- Director: Christian Stuckl
- Costumes & Stage Design: Stefan Hageneier
- Musical Director: Markus Zwink
- Deputy Director: Abdullah Keran Karaca
By 2017, the exact schedule of performances to be determined.
Ash Wednesday 2019: All Participants let their hair grow; men also grow their beards.
Spring 2019: Actors to be announced.
Autumn 2019: Rehearsals start.
May 2020: 1st Performance
All images and copy are adpated from http://www.passionsspiele-oberammergau.de/en.